Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter (goose) egg

Rough day today. The calendar had a 90 minute run with 5 minutes at about 7:15 and walking for three minutes. I went down to the usual spot in Deephaven to begin the workout.
Back up about 14 hours. I went to a basketball game at about 6:30pm without eating beforehand. There was no quality, affordable food available at the game, and I wasn't that hungry. Then we went out afterward and I had two small beers and water before going home. When I got home around 10:30, I had a small bowl of oatmeal. Not an ideal "night before" diet.
I was dragging from the start today. A far cry from the previous two weeks' runs. I was sucking wind after the first 35-40 minutes. It might have been due to diet, maybe from the warmer temperature, and maybe just dumb luck. Probably a combination of all of them.
Here are the splits:
1 - 7:11/mile pace
2 - 7:06
3 - 7:18
4 - 7:00
5 - 7:13
6 - 7:14
Between these runs, I took an additional 3 minute break for water and a gel at my car.
7 - 7:23
8 - 7:18
9 - 7:17
10 - 8:00
11 - 7:28
Actually, I didn't look at these splits until after I had finished writing the first couple of paragraphs above. I'm very surprised I achieved those times. It took a lot more effort to get to those times than in the past few weeks.
I somewhat panicked after the first few repeats because I was feeling a little sluggish. How was I going to do this for an hour and a half? But I now realize that some days require harder work than others, and that I can achieve fairly lofty goals.
I do not believe that the shorter walking break (3 minutes vs 5 minutes) caused this struggle. A couple weeks ago I did 5 minutes/2 minutes, and didn't feel as uncomfortable as I did today.
Totals: 9.88 miles, 1 hour 38 minutes. Overall pace (including walking): 9:59/mile. Included extra walking at the very end, getting back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment