Saturday, March 20, 2010

Friday straightaways and Saturday long run

I was planning to go out of town this weekend on a ski trip, but conditions are not good so I decided to stay home. This changed training plans mid-stream because I was planning on taking Thursday off and doing my long run on Friday.
But on Friday, it was decided I'll stay in town. So yesterday (Friday), I did the straightaways originally scheduled for Thursday. I did them outside on the street by my house. I was a little tough to gauge how long a Lindbergh straightaway was. I ended up doing 14 repeats totaling a tick over two miles. It went quickly and I felt fine.
This morning (Saturday) I went to Deephaven to run along the Three Rivers path. This is the same path that we use for the ALARC Legend's 10K and 5K. I parked right by the paddle court where four people were playing. Kind of like tennis but with wooden paddles.
Today's workout called for 5 minutes @ 5K pace and 5 minutes walking. The whole run felt great, the longer walking periods really helped. Here are the laps and pace/mile:
1 - 7:40/mile
2 - 7:24
3 - 7:29
4 - 7:24
5 - 7:31
6 - 7:44
7 - 7:39
8 - 7:41
9 - 7:46
10 - 7:36
11 - 7:44
12 - 7:33
From the paddle court, I started going west for half an hour. That way, I could turn around and see how close I could get to my car at the one hour mark. Turned out to be pretty accurate. I stopped at the car briefly for some water and a gel, so the break was a bit more than 5 minutes (I was walking as I arrived in the parking lot).
I was a little surprised to see the # 4 split above, being on the faster side. I felt like I was dragging a bit on that particular leg, so I pushed it. Plus I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable as I think I drank a little too much water in the morning. But I took care of that near the paddle court :)
For the second hour, I ran east first. Same deal, turning around after half an hour. For the last 5 minute run, I wanted to see how much I had left so I pushed it a bit. I had a good bit left in the tank, but didn't set the world on fire.
At the end of this run, I felt MUCH better than I did the week previously. The extra rest helped a lot. I think I could achieve similar numbers with a 4 minute rest, maybe even a 3:30 walk. I found myself getting anxious to start running again after 3 and a half minutes or so.
Totals: 11.33 miles, 2:00:33, avg pace (including walking) 10:39
Weather: 34 degrees, sunny, no noticeable wind, very little trail traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment