Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Saturday, windy Saturday

One hour today, 5 run 3 walk, run @ 6:55. I went to the Lakes for this one, my first straying from the comforts of Deephaven.
I quickly discovered that there was a huge 5K walk at Lake Calhoun precisely at the time I wanted to start running. So I worked my way over to Lake of the Isles, which typically offers peaceful tranquility. Turns out there was another walk over there involving those afflicted with blindness. So I found myself having to dodge some people and dogs throughout the run - but that's ok, Grandma's will be full of people too.
Wind was another factor. There were gusts out of the south at about 30 mph.
I ended up doing only about 53 minutes of the hour-long workout. I tried to complete the run by going back to Lake Calhoun and finishing up. But again I ran straight into the 5K walkers who occupied 110% of the trails and were completely oblivious to others using the paths. I was about 2 minutes into a run and just threw up my hands.
Here are the splits:
1 - 6:38/mile
2 - 6:46
3 - 6:50
4 - 6:44
5 - 7:00
6 - 6:59
7 - 7:19 (dodging people, running directly into wind, gave up after 2 min)
The fast pace certainly wasn't comfortable, it took a lot of work to get under 6:50/mile. After doing the 3 or 4 hour runs, I thought this'd be a walk in the park. But the speedwork definitely got my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment