Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday 5/24 hills in the heat

Sunny and about 90 degrees tonight in beautiful Minnetonka MN. The workout tonight called for 16 repeats of Yugo Hill, at a fast pace I could maintain for the 16 reps.
I have a starting point of a manhole cover at the bottom of the hill, and a finishing point of a medium-sized rock at the top. I turn around and walk about 1/4 the way down the hill, jog the middle half, and walk the remaining quarter.
It's about a 150 yard trip, and I average about 46 seconds. It's interesting - if I really turn on the jets, the fastest I can make it has been about 44 seconds. If I lose a little focus and feel tired, the slowest I make it is about 48 seconds. So no matter what the case, I find myself being pretty consistent in my times.
Tonight was no different. Most of the splits were 46 or 47 seconds. After only 2-3 reps, I was a sweaty mess. I really wanted to make it the full 16 reps, which I did! After a couple workouts last week that fell short, there was no way I was going to not complete the goal today.
It felt good to finish in the heat, because if history repeats itself Grandma's Marathon will be a hot and humid event. Gotta get some warm weather practice in!
Now off to bed. I need to get up at 4:30 to go swimming. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment