Sunday, May 16, 2010

1 hour, 5/2/1, 6:30 pace

Just got back from Deephaven where the scheduled workout was one hour with 5 minute runs at 6:30/mile pace, 2 minute walk, 1 minute jog. Note that my PR for the mile is 6:35.
So I went into the workout with that mentality - try to hit the pace of a mile for time. It would be eight reps of this.
I went down to the usual Deephaven location this morning around 10am. It was already sunny and about 60, a beautiful day.
I hate making excuses, I really do. But on Thursday morning I woke up with a sore throat and it progressed into a pretty brutal cold on Friday and Saturday. My nose was continually running, my voice was extremely hoarse, and when I stood up I had some dizzy spells. So I skipped the Thursday swim and Friday easy 2-3 miles.
When I started my first run this morning, I felt ok at first, but the last minute was a struggle. Breathing was difficult as my throat is still sore from being sick. I nailed the split at 6:28, and thought there was a chance I could still keep it up, just seven more reps to go. Maybe I was just getting warmed up. The second rep was labored the entire way. I did a 6:18 pace, but felt similar to the end of the two-hour workout a few weeks ago where my body abruptly stopped the workout on its own.
I turned around to do the third split, thinking that it'd be ok to slow down a bit so I could complete the workout. I went down to a 7:18 and felt even worse at the end of this. I checked my pulse and felt 28 beats in 10 seconds, translating to 168 bpm.
While I knew this was an intense workout, that didn't feel healthy to me. This training regimen is all about getting to know myself and making adjustments, so I thought hard about what to do at this point. I wasn't even halfway through the workout, and my body was clearly telling me that it needed a break. I noticed my walking was zig-zagging a little and my throat was very dry.
I decided to take an extra-long recovery walk, do one more rep where I'd have a couple gears left, and call it a day and live for a good week of workouts. The last running rep was 5 minutes at 7:47/mile. The pulse rate was still way up there and I felt slightly nauseous, so I felt good about my decision to call it a day.
Time to rest up and nail every scheduled workout this week. I have a half marathon next weekend where I am pacing the 2 hour group. I'm really looking forward to it - it should be a nice relaxed pace and I can see where I am distance-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment