Sunday, May 23, 2010

2010 Maple Grove Half Marathon

The big day! For anyone who reads this who does not know me, I am one of the founders of the Maple Grove Half Marathon and 5K. We had full races again this year, with over 1000 runners.
I had a blast leading the 2 hour pace group last year, and signed on to do it again this year.
The day before wasn't the typical day-before-race routine. I was on my feet for most of the day to help set up the course and running various errands for the race. I didn't sleep too well on Friday night with a million details going through my head. But I did have a good night's sleep on Thursday which I've heard is very important.
The forecast all week called for temps in the 80's, but luckily is wasn't quite that hot. It was humid with mostly cloudy skies. I had an excellent race, it actually felt like a medium-paced jog. We walked through all water stops because of the heat, I wanted all the runners to stay hydrated.
Here are the splits, actually the pace per mile because some mile markers were short/long:
Mile 1 - 8:48
2 - 8:55
3 - 9:03
4 - 8:59 (water stop)
5 - 8:59
6 - 9:02 (water stop)
7 - 9:04
8 - 8:51 (water stop)
9 - 8:57
10 - 9:14 (water stop)
11 - 9:16
12 - 9:29 (water stop, slowed to help last people in pace group finish)
13 - forgot to stop watch :)
Summary: Chip time 2:00:09, 10K split 1:04:25

Glad to see Coach Bill out there, it was an honor to have him in our field!

No comments:

Post a Comment