Saturday, June 5, 2010

ALARC Legends 10K

Today was the annual ALARC Legends 10K and 5K. I have volunteered for this race the past 3-4 years, and haven't run in it in about 4-5 years.
This is weekend #1 of the taper before Grandma's. I wanted to go all-out in this race and see where I am speed-wise at this distance. My 10K PR is around 46:40, and I was hoping to finish under 46 minutes.
My friend Tom and I were talking at the starting line, and discovered we had similar goals in this one. Tom is historically much faster than I am, so it was going to be a good test.
It was a cloudy day and a little muggy at the start. By the end, the temperature rose quickly as did the humidity. I went out fast, hoping to do around a 7:10 mile and try to hold it as long as I could. Things felt "heavy" right away and I could tell I wasn't at my all-time best this morning. Hills were more a struggle than my best days, and there were some rolling hills in the first mile. I tried to get it out of my head, remembering that my best miles are typically 4-8 on my long runs.
But it never went away. The humidity got to me, and even the smallest hills felt like mountains.
At about mile 4, I accepted that it wasn't my day and just wanted to stay strong and do the best I could. Here are the splits:
1 - 7:05, probably too fast, likely affected the rest of the race
2 - 7:19, settled in a bit
3 - 7:36, included the turn-around and a water stop. started feeling tired here, slowed down
4 - 7:41, rolling hills, was having a hard time with them
5 - 7:40, close to the finish, focused on staying strong
6 - 7:54, legs were screaming at me to take a walking break. took about a 20 step walking break through a water stop
6.2 - The last quarter mile sucked. Up a hill and to the finish. But it felt great to finish and join many of my friends for pancakes and awards.
Overall result: 46:52, 9th overall, 2nd in men 35-40. Award certificate is up on the fridge already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment