Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Core - Monday 2/22/10

The usual Monday routine - head over to the Lindbergh Center a little after 5pm to lift weights before coaching ALARC Core.
I have a weight lifting program that I pulled from Men's Health Magazine. It's a quick 15-minute dumbbell program that has four exercises using the same dumbbells throughout. There are three workouts I choose from, and they recommend doing each every week. I typically just do them twice a week before Core.
For this workout, I used 25 pound dumbbells. The first exercise had me holding the weights at my side and stepping up on the bench one side at a time, 8 reps each. The foot that is not on the bench does not touch the bench, requiring stability throughout. There is a slight pause at the top, finishing with a controlled return to the floor with both feet.
Immediately upon finishing 8 reps on both sides, I move over to a bench set at a 45 degree angle. I lie face-first on the bench and let the dumbbells hang near the floor. I pull them up together, squeezing my shoulder blades together for 12 reps.
I repeat these two exercises twice more (3 total), resting about 90 seconds in between.
To complete the program, I do 10 curls, then lie down on the flat bench to do tricep exercises. I lift the dumbbells directly over me, and slowly lower my forearms toward my ears, and back up for 12 reps. There are only two sets of this with 90 seconds of rest in between. I'm done!
Then it's time for a couple of laps of the track, and on to coaching ALARC Core.
I had a pretty good workout, not the most intense but still pretty good. I must have been having a good day because several of my students couldn't complete all the reps of the exercises. Or maybe they were having a bad day, or something in between.
I finished off the night with some egg noodles with a sauce containing leftover chicken, onions, and mushrooms. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment